Acupuncture for IVF (& IUI, ICSI)
We have treated many women with acupuncture throughout their IVF process with phenomenal results. Quite often, doctors are shocked by the change in egg and embryo quality from clients who have had many prior IVF cycles with poor results. The idea is to put you in the best possible shape to give your body the best opportunity for releasing quality eggs, developing a lush womb lining and feeling as calm as possible, in order to give your little embryo the best opportunity to embed and rest comfortably within you.
At Red Tent Health Centre we offer a number of different acupuncture programs for IVF support designed to:
- Optimize your chances of getting pregnant and having a safe pregnancy and live birth
- Increase blood flow to your reproductive organs
- Reduce stress and improve your health and well-being
- Minimize side effects associated with ART treatment
- Use treatment strategies based on evidenced based protocols
Our evidence-based acupuncture treatment plans range from preconception programs, to one or two treatments on the day of embryo transfer, to a course of treatment leading up to IVF transfer and continuing afterwards to support this precious pregnancy.
Ideally, we like to work with you and your partner for several months with weekly treatments, until your assisted cycle begins. However, many women only learn of us in the midst of their process and we can still support you from where you are at.
What we recommend …
Fully stimulated IVF/ICSI cycle:
- Weekly treatments for 8 weeks prior to start date.
- Weekly treatment leading up to your egg pick up – encouraging healthy egg and endometrium development.
- One session after egg pick up and before the embryo transfer – we want to ensure that inflammation from the procedure is minimal, and to support your recovery.
- Post transfer treatments – we will see you after your transfer, ideally on the same day.
- After your transfer, we continue to see you weekly until wk 13-14 to support your pregnancy, or we continue weekly leading up to your next transfer or assisted cycle.
We can provide you with herbs to help your sperm quality reach its potential. There is also strong evidence that acupuncture helps with motility, and clinically we have seen it impact morphology, DNA fragmentation, and sperm count. So in this instance we would recommend:
- Weekly treatment for 8 weeks in the lead up to your partners start date
- Weekly treatment through out her stimulated cycle so you are at your best to produce a top quality sperm sample (it takes four months for one sperm to grow and so sperm can be radically changed over the course of that time… how many there are, how easily they swim, the shapes of them etc)